Followers

Monday, May 10, 2010

A Lesson in Canvas


Well this was a SCARY first for me!!!  I actually painted on canvas!!!  Now I admit... it's not ALL painting, but... I thought I was just to smart to stamp and glue and paint on it. LOL

I used Melanie Muenchinger's, "Gifts from the Sea" and stamped them on Gina K's Pure Luxury Heavy Base Weight white card stock and colored the images with my Copic markers.

I then mounted them on my painted canvas.  I used acrylic paint for the ocean and for the sand, I used Tim Holtz Distress ink.  Sadly, I couldn't get it to show up well in the photo.  The cool thing about it was the Distress ink actually sunk into the "pits" of the canvas and really looked awesome.  Like real sand grains!


The hardest part was stamping the sentiment.  I did several of these and I will share them in the following days, but, to actually stamp the sentiment where I wanted it was a VERY tough task.

First, my canvases, of course, were already stretched and mounted on a frame.  Now if you had a larger canvas, it wouldn't be a problem.  But, since I used anywhere from a 4 X 6 to an 8 X 10, there wasn't much room behind to actually put a "block" to give myself a hard surface to stamp on.

Obviously, you can't just stamp it... there is a give to the canvas.  So I used a couple wooden blocks to support it before stamping.

This was fun for me but I admit I was under pressure to hurry so they didn't all come out as well as I wanted.  But you know me... I am one who doesn't mind sharing my "aack" with my favs.  Just a warning. Hee Hee

By the way, THIS was my favorite of them all. *smile*

Have a great day!!

Signature

2 comments:

Carolyn King said...

GREAT job Tina! makes me want to be at the beach ...NOW!

Kay S said...

This is great, Tina! Cool idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...